Category : Boat Motor Maintenance
Taking ownership of a power boat is a moment you will look back on for years to come as a turning point for your adventurous spirit. Not only will it bring your years of memories built with family and friends, but you have also acquired a lifetime membership into the world of water living, quite different than land living. Of course, that membership comes with a few requirements, and one of those requirements is the maintenance of your boat’s motor. Choosing a stern drive boat motor comes with several benefits, one of which is the ease of maintenance.
Fresh Water Maintenance
- Always check your fluid levels prior to use.
- Regularly change your lubricants per the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Zinc protects your engine, and not having enough can lead to expensive repairs. To avoid this, regularly check your anode(s).
- Avoid fuel with ethanol, as the alcohol can cause corrosion.
Salt Water Maintenance
In addition to the above recommendations, you will need to perform a few more tasks to protect against salt exposure.
- After use, remove salt from the system by flushing the raw water cooling circuit.
- apply antifoul bottom paint to make your motor more corrosion resistant.
Taking the steps to maintain the life of your stern drive boat motor is relatively easy and takes little time, providing more time for you to explore the boundary-less waves of open bodies of water.